Well known for its dramatic landscapes, friendly locals and postcard-perfect beaches, Vanuatu is for many visitors a dream tropical destination. You can sample some gourmet local fare, visit traditional villages, dive through the shipwreck of a luxury liner and even explore an active volcano in this sun-kissed island getaway. The possibilities are virtually endless on a Vanuatu cruise to the heart of the South Pacific.
- Currency - Vanuatu Vatu
- Population - Approx. 247,000
- Language - Vanuatu has three official languages – English, French and Bislama – however a further 113 indigenous languages are still actively spoken throughout the islands. The only language universally understood in Vanuatu is Bislama – a creole language that combines Melanesian grammar with an English vocabulary.
- Time Zone - UTC+11
Did you know..?
Who goes there?
Cruises dock in Port Vila all year round on board major lines such as Princess Cruises, P&O Australia and Carnival Australia. From September through to May, itineraries with Royal Caribbean, Cunard Line and Holland American Line are also available.
Best time to go?
- Take a trip to the active volcano Mount Yasur on Tanna Island and stand on the rim of its fiery crater
- Discover more about the islands' unique history and diverse culture at the Vanuatu Cultural Centre and Museum in Port Vila
- Post a 'waterproof postcard' home when you visit the world’s only Underwater Post Office, located in Hideaway Island Marine Sanctuary