- Currency - Cour de Franc Pacifique (CFP)
- Population - approx. 258,000
- Language - the official language of New Caledonia is French, with 33 Melanesian and Polynesian dialects also used throughout the islands.
- Time Zone - UTC+11
Did you know..?
Measuring a vast 24,000 square kilometres, New Caledonia is home to the world’s largest lagoon. It also boasts the world’s second longest barrier reef – an impressive 1,600 kilometres in length – making it a haven for divers.
Who goes there?
Cruise passengers can visit New Caledonia all year round on Princess Cruises, P&O Australia and Carnival Australia lines. From September through to May, itineraries with the likes of Royal Caribbean, Cunard Line and Holland American Line are also available.
Best time to go?
- Noumea Cathedral is a landmark of the city which has stood on its current site since 1890
- Noumea Market in Port Moselle is well known for its delicious local produce and freshly baked delicacies, as well as for being a great place to pick up some authentic souvenirs
- Amedee Lighthouse boasts panoramic views over New Caledonia’s beautiful coral reefs, for those brave enough to climb the all 247 stairs to the top!